The Mulcahy Scholarship was launched in 2018 by the Aisling Irish Community Center in Yonkers, New York, in tribute to Denis Mulcahy and his family's commitment to Project Children, a charity that for forty years, worked untiringly to change the lives of children across Northern Ireland.
Forty years later, America is replicating the reverse and the scholarship aims to provide American high school students the opportunity to travel to Ireland and experience Irish culture in a fun and diverse way. Scholarship recipients will participate in educational summer courses, exposing them to Irish culture, heritage, arts and sport.
The long-term goal of the Mulcahy Scholarship is to develop the necessary funding that will facilitate the growth of this unique program, enabling a large number of American high school students to attend these cultural summer courses in Northern and Southern Ireland. It is integral to the Mulcahy Scholarship that we preserve and promote a strong and progressive connection between Ireland and America.
In 2018, the very first Mulcahy Scholarship Award was proudly presented to Conor James. The Aisling Irish Center partnered with Brian Fahy of the Celtic Irish American Academy (CIAA) summer program and Conor attended their summer school based in Galway City. There, Conor participated in the CIAA summer program, forged many friendships and even learned some "cúpla focal", all while encompassing the core objective of the scholarship.
A clip of Conor's experience is featured above.
- Applicants must be over the age of 16 and either an American high school junior(s) or senior(s) at the time of application, and who best meet the requirements set forth by the Scholarship Committee
- Students must be willing to travel to Ireland from July 14th – July 27th, 2019 to partake in the CIAA Irish cultural program. The airfare is the responsibility of the recipient
- Recipients are eligible to be awarded a scholarship once only
- Unsuccessful applicants are welcome to re-apply the following year, as long as they continue to meet the eligibility requirements listed above.
How to Apply
- Students must complete the Mulcahy Scholarship application form
Prepare a 1500-word essay on the following topic:
"Why do you feel you are a suitable candidate to be awarded the Mulcahy Scholarship?"
- Submit two personal character references (other than relatives), such as high school principals, teachers, coaches and/or community leaders
- The 2019 Mulcahy Scholarship application period is currently open and all applications must be received no later than Friday April 26, 2019
Student must submit their completed application form and all requested documents via mail or e-mail to:
Mulcahy Scholarship Committee
Aisling Irish Community Center
990 McLean Avenue
Yonkers, NY 10704
- Scholarship recipients will be chosen by the Mulcahy Scholarship Committee, who will review and score all submitted applications
- Applicants will be required to participate in an interview before the Scholarship Committee in May 2019 and date to be determined
- Scholarship recipients will be notified by May 31, 2019
- Scholarship award amounts are at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee and will be paid directly to the educational institution in the student's name
For more information on the Mulcahy Scholarship, e-mail: email@example.com
Conor James: 2018